How to Toast Coconut in three different ways using stove, microwave or oven. With this easy-to-follow guide, you’ll have fragrant coconut to use in your favorite recipes!
How to Toast Coconut is part of Kawaling Pinoy’s cooking tips series. I will be slowly expanding this blog section in the coming months, so if you have any food prep topics and kitchen hacks you want to be covered, please let me know.
Making toasted coconut is a straightforward process, but I wanted a standalone entry to refer to recipes that incorporate it as an ingredient since it’s used frequently in Filipino cooking.
There are three simple methods, and you choose which works best for you. Whether on the stovetop, in the oven, or the microwave, you’ll have a jarful ready to enjoy in minutes!
On the stovetop
- Place in a wide pan and toast over low to medium-low heat.
- Watch it closely and stir constantly for even browning. Do not leave unattended as the coconut can burn pretty quickly.
- Toast, stirring regularly for about 1 to 3 minutes or until coconut begins to brown. Turn off heat and continue to cook, stirring regularly, in the residual heat until mostly golden brown.
- Remove immediately from pan and allow to cool completely.
In the oven
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 325 F oven.
- Toast for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir every few minutes to ensure even browning.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
In the microwave
- Spread the coconut flakes in a thin layer in a wide microwave-safe baking dish.
- Toast in the microwave at 30 to 40-second intervals until golden, stirring well after each interval to evenly brown.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
Sweetened coconut will brown quicker as the sugar speeds up the toasting process.
- Topping for Maja blanca, of course!
- Delicious in a Thai Mango salad <–my favorite!
- Sprinkle over ice creams and halo-halo for added crunch and aroma
- Level up your next batch of rice
- Use in baked goods such as cakes, cookies, pies and dessert bars
How to store
Allow to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for about 3 to 4 weeks.